Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Handmade Greeting Card From Upcycled Picture Postcard

I love to look at old picture postcards. I like to look at the pictures and read the descriptions on the back.
If the card was used, I enjoy reading the message and looking at the stamp and post mark. I think there is a great deal of history that can be preserved from old postcards.
I recently bought a lot of old postcards from the early 1900s at a garage sale. Each postcard was stored in a zip-lock baggie. Some of the postcards were damaged and torn but the pieces were saved in the baggies.
This postcard that featured the head of a horse was in five pieces. The largest piece had a tear right through the middle. The date on the back of the card was 1908.  I decided to try to restore the picture and use it for a greeting card.

This is how I made the card;
(1.) I started with a blank kraft cardstock greeting card that measures 5" by 6 1/2".
(2.) I used some Elmer's Craft Bond Rubber Cement to glue the patterned paper and cardboard to the front of the card.
(3.) I carefully applied the rubber cement to the back of the postcard to seal the large tear in the center of the card and a smaller tear on the bottom edge of the card.
(4.) I applied a thin coat of Matte Collage Pauge Decoupage sealer to the front of the card and let it dry.
(5.) I used glue dots to attach the postcard to the front of the greeting card.

This beautiful 1908 horse image will now bring enjoyment to the person who receives this card.

I would love for you to FOLLOW this blog. You may use either the Google Friend Connect or the Networked Blog widget to show your support and encouragement.

Please share your thoughts in the Comments Section below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...